Revising a Novel: Step Away From The Blue Pencil! Audio Download
Shipping calculated at checkout.
It's so tempting to pick up a blue pencil after you finish a first draft of your novel. But line editing should be the last step in revising a novel, not the first. This presentation with Hallie Ephron, presents an iterative revision process that works from large to small, examining a novel through multiple lenses while soliciting and processing feedback from trusted readers.
- An overarching, multi-stage strategy for revising a manuscript
- How to separate the big issues from the small
- How to evaluate and identify fixes to the structure of the novel
- How to evaluate and identify fixes to the structure of individual scenes
- How to sharpen the narrative voice and get viewpoint under control
- How to evaluate and modulate pacing
- How to revise characters so they are both consistent and surprising
- How to know when a manuscript is ready for a line edit
- Tips and techniques for line editing
- Finding advance readers and taking criticism