2nd Draft: Developmental Editing Service (AKA Manuscript Development Notes, price per page))
You'll Love This Critique Service If:
- You have written at least 50 pages of your manuscript
- You need an editor to give you a complete overview on the quality of your manuscript and (in the case of novels or novellas) your use of the elements of fiction
- You are looking for feedback on your manuscript before you query an editor or agent
- Your manuscript keeps getting rejected by agents or editors
If your manuscript keeps getting tossed into the slush pile, or you're about to query an agent or editor , now's the time to get a professional developmental edit from our 2nd Draft editors!
If you have at least 50 consecutive pages of your manuscript written and are looking for not only professional feedback but also a two-page synopsis for your manuscript, this critique service is perfect for you. With 2nd Draft's Developmental Editing Service, you get professional feedback on your novel, novella or nonfiction book, in a comprehensive package that includes 10-16 pages of detailed notes, including:
- For fiction, a complete breakdown of your manuscript's effectiveness in deploying the elements of fiction along with recommendations for improvement where needed, broken into categories of premise, plot structure, pacing, characters, dialogue, emotion, description and setting/worldbuilding, voice, point of view, language choices, and use of genre elements (if applicable)
- For nonfiction, a breakdown of your prose style, theme, pacing, voice and tone, description and detail, structure and organization, and the thoroughness and authority of the argument or narrative, plus recommendations for improvement where needed
- A discussion of the marketability of your work, including your target audience, as well as any elements that might prevent your work from being sold to that audience in its current form
- A bulleted list of specific suggestions to take your work to the next level
- A one-to-two paragraph ‚Äúpitch" around which you can build a query letter or back-cover sales copy
- A detailed synopsis to use as a marketing tool to help sell your work
Please note that a developmental/content edit is much different than a line edit or a proofread. In a developmental edit, the editor is giving notes on the effectiveness of your manuscript overall. It is a lengthy review that analyzes the work at a high level and offers suggestions for revision.
Ensure your manuscript is pitch perfect and make the best possible impression on an agent or editor. Buy a 2nd Draft developmental edit now, embrace our critique editor's feedback, revise accordingly, and then submit your query to an agent or editor with confidence!
Our 2nd Draft Critique Editors Will Not:
- Rewrite or revise for you, except in the case of providing an example of how to revise on your own.
- Correct grammar, mechanics, and spelling. (Our 2nd Draft Proofreading service does correct grammatical errors, including punctuation, capitalization, verb tense, spelling and sentence structure.) However, the story analyst will point out any patterns of surface-level error that may pose a significant problem for you.
- Correct for Industry-Standard Formatting. However the story analyst will point out general and repetitive formatting errors throughout the manuscript.
- Provide any fact-checking.
- Provide answers or advice on legal issues.
Minimum Length Requirement
To take advantage of 2nd Draft, you must have at least 50 consecutive manuscript pages ready for review. You're welcome to submit as many consecutive pages as you like, though they must all be from the same work.
Please format your manuscript to meet these requirements prior to completing your purchase to ensure that you purchase the correct number of pages.
All documents must be submitted electronically in ONE of the following formats:
- Word document (.doc or .docx)
- Rich Text File (.rtf)
All documents MUST adhere to the professional manuscript formatting standards, which are:
- 8.5 x 11 page size
- Double-spacing throughout
- 1-inch margins on top and bottom
- 1.25-inch margins on left and right sides Arial, Courier, or Times font
- 12-point font size
*If your manuscript does not meet these formatting requirements, we will either return the document to you for correction, or we will apply these settings ourselves when possible, and only critique the number of pages you have paid for.*
There are no refunds for this service. No discounts apply.
We Also Recommend
The Pros and Cons of Writing as a Pantser vs Outliner and How to Best Use Each