The Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction
The best way to get your speculative novel right is to first know how to avoid getting it wrong. In this presentation, award-winning fantasy author K.M. Weiland shares the top five mistakes authors make in creating their speculative worlds and building their stories.
You'll learn how to:
- Think beyond clich√©s to find truly original ideas,and then how to make sure you're taking full advantage of all the epic opportunities within your high-concept premise
- Create imaginative and exciting worlds that support your ultimate goal of strong plot and character, rather than getting in their way
- Structure your sprawling epics to create powerful and resonate pacing and flow
- Select the right number of POVs for your story and then manage them responsibly to create cohesion and foreshadowing
- Choose the right endings for books within a series and use them to hook readers into the next book without frustrating or disappointing them
Learn how to take your fantasy or science fiction novel to the next level!
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso. She is the IPPY and NIEA Award-winning and internationally published author of the Amazon bestsellers Outlining Your Novel and Structuring Your Novel, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer's Digest Annotated Classic. She writes historical and speculative fiction from her home in western Nebraska and mentors authors on her award-winning website Helping Writers Become Authors.