How To Structure A Great TV Pilot: Mad Men Case Study OnDemand Webinar
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
A STRONG FAMILY OF CHARACTERS AND A FASCINATING ENVIRONMENT ARE OFTEN KEYS TO A GREAT TV PILOT SCRIPT. BY CAREFULLY STUDYING THE MAD MEN PILOT SCRIPT, WRITERS MAY GROW THEIR TV WRITING SKILL SETS IN CRUCIAL WAYS.
Through the essential DNA embedded in its pilot script, Mad Men became one of the great TV series of all time and never wavered from its initial vision. By closely studying the structure, characters, plot details, emotional flavors of Matthew Weiner's pilot, writers will expand their skill sets for creating their own spec pilot scripts.
The ground has shifted under all screenwriters in the last 5-10 years. Television has gotten much better. As screen size in the home increases, the price of those home theaters seems to shrink. Meanwhile, opportunities for screenwriters are expanding in response. An original half-hour or one-hour pilot script(or a half-hour script) can be a great calling card for a screenwriter to open many doors in TV and in features. Those 30 or 60 pages have to be potentially great television -- a well-structured script with strong characters and a compelling story that could unfold over many episodes.
There is an art to it. And there is a craft. A learnable craft. Studying the best work in television carefully is a fantastic way to learn to write TV dynamically and successfully.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- Learn how Matthew Weiner shaped his Mad Men pilot script using time-tested TV craft methods
- Creation-Construction of the World of Your Show
- Building Out a Solid Family of Characters for Your Series Concept
- Structuring the Episode Stories in Your Pilot Script
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Beginning to Advanced Screenwriters Seeking to Build Out TV Craft Skills
- Writers from Other Disciplines Seeking to Expand Into TV
- Fans of TV Who Want to Understand the Medium Better
- Actors, Directors, Filmmakers Who Want to Understand the TV Realm in Greater Depth
We Also Recommend
The Complete Guide of Poetic Forms: 100+ Poetic Form Definitions and Examples for Poets
40 Plot Twist Prompts for Writers: Writing Ideas for Bending Your Stories in New Directions