Writing the Historical Novel
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You are a writer who wants to create a historical piece whether a screenplay, short story, novel, etc.
- You are a writer who struggles with the where and how to write from a historical perspective
- You are a writer who wants to publish
- You are a writer who wants to learn how characters and themes can enhance the historical time period in a piece of writing
- You are a writer who wants to learn how history can be embedded within key screen writing techniques
ABOUT THE ONDEMAND WEBINAR
When Dr. Prescott wrote her new book series set in the 1920s in New England, The Ivy League Chronicles: 9 Squares, she wove together a story by combining paranormal elements to political scandals, hip happenings for society at that time, and cultural icons that were very real in historical context with the journeys traveled by two fictional main characters. In this presentation, Dr. Prescott references her own successful tactics as a historical fiction writer as well as guides writers on how to best capture historical moments for their own stories. She notes, in particular, how and why you should research and document first, and develop characters and plot second. If you are a fan of the history in blockbusters like National Treasure, Lincoln, Argo, and The Da Vinci Code, you will automatically be a fan of her fictional writing style that makes history come alive.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- What historical fiction is and is not
- The Science and Art of historical writing
- How to recognize your historical context for best results
- 5 keys to conducting historical research
- The Golden Rule of Researching
- Key techniques on how to embed history with context of your story
- Strategies in using characters to make history come ALIVE through writing
- How to identify historical themes to enhance your historical facts of interest
- How to embed emotion in characters, theme, plot, using the 5 Senses writing strategy created by Dr. Prescott to help readers connect emotionally to your time period
- The pre-writing Snap Shot exercise
Dr. Prescott has been an educator for over 30 years. She has worked at the Federal, State, and District levels as a teacher, a national consultant for teaching writing, a principal, and a professor - to mention a few. Dr. Prescott, has won numerous awards for her scholarly and fictional writing. These include and not limited to - Honorary mention at the 2014 Paris, New York and Hollywood book fair contests for her historical fiction mystery series The Ivy League Chronicles: 9 Squares. She presently works with doctoral students at several universities, while continuing her historical fiction series.
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.
We Also Recommend
The Ultimate Guide of Writer’s Digest Writing Prompts: 450+ Ideas to Feed Your Creativity