Writing the Memoir that Can Sell: How to Attract Agents & Editors to Your Story Video Download
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- Writers who are considering writing a memoir
- Writers who have written a memoir and want to know what to do next
- Writers who have been told they should write a book but and want to know the steps to getting it published
- Writers who are concerned they don't have the ideal platform to get an agent of editor interested
ABOUT THE ONDEMAND WEBINAR
Writing and selling a commercially viable memoir in today's marketplace can often seem difficult. But even more daunting is knowing how to get the competitive edge so that agents and editors will take your project seriously and be willing to take a chance on you even if you don't happen to be famous.
Regina Brooks is the author of You Should Really Write a Book: How to Write Sell and Market Your Memoir and explains what sells and why and how you can get YOUR memoir published.
Learn to think like a publishing professional, become familiar with the different types of memoirs, the effective strategies for securing an agent as well as how best to get your book published traditionally or non-traditionally.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to determine where your books will fit in the marketplace
- How to craft a hook and or two line tag line for your memoir
- How to vary your format or develop a narrative that is creative and exciting such as graphic novel, illustrated storytelling, diary inclusion, and even poetry
- How to determine whether you have a classic memoir or are writing narrative nonfiction
- How to evaluate whether your book will better serve you and your audience if written as fiction
- The important element to include in your query letter
- How to represent real people in your novel while avoiding litigation
- How to determine if you should self-publish, or go the traditional publishing route
- How to submit your work to agents and publishers
- Tips to get you passed the emotionally dark places that you might endure while writing
Regina Brooks is the founder and president of Serendipity Literary Agency LLC, based in Brooklyn, New York. Her agency has represented and established a diverse base of award-winning clients in adult and young adult fiction, nonfiction, and children's literature. Her authors have appeared in USA TODAY, NY TIMES and the Washington Post as well as on Oprah, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, MSBNC, TV ONE, BET and a host of others. She has held senior editorial positions at John Wiley and Sons and McGraw-Hill companies. Brooks is the author of the titles NEVER FINISHED NEVER DONE (Scholastic), WRITING GREAT BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS (Source Books), and YOU SHOULD (REALLY) WRITE A BOOK: HOW TO WRITE, SELL, AND MARKET YOUR MEMOIR (St. Martin's Press), has edited over nearly 100 titles and is blogger for the Huffington Post and Essence.com. Brooks is also on the faculty of the Writer's Digest University, Harvard University publishing course, The Discovery Channel's Media Boot Camp for Doctors, the Whidbey Island Writers MFA program and teaches annually at more than twenty worldwide conferences. She has been highlighted in global media outlets including Forbes, Media Bistro, Essence Magazine, Ebony Magazine, Writer's Digest Magazine, The Writer, Jet, Rolling Out and Publishers Weekly. She also is a co-publisher of an imprint of Akashic called Open Lens and the owner of a tea company called Possibiliteas.
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.
We Also Recommend
How to Write Short Stories and Use Them to Further Your Writing Career OnDemand Webinar