The Power of the Transformational Arc: Making stories more emotional, meaningful and marketable OnDemand Webinar
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Every writer has a wealth of creative potential, but it can be a daunting if not impossible task to gain access to those interior places where the true power of story is waiting to be unleashed. In this webinar Dara Marks, author of Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc, teaches writers how to create a natural story structure that reflects the authentic nature of the human experience. Her innovative method for structuring story is designed to keep writers focused on the heart and soul of their work so that plot, character, and theme create a unified whole. The interrelationship of these key story elements forms the basis of the transformational arc of character. Marks explains, "The transformational arc is the deeper line of structure found inside the story. It is an organic template that writers can use to ensure that the intricacies of plot and character grow naturally out of your original thematic intention."
The transformational arc is, therefore, the interior line of structure. Whereas the plot guides the external conflict and action, the arc guides the inner, emotional development of the characters as they are forced to deal with the conflict of the plot. Using the arc makes the story more human and relatable and greatly expands a writer's ability to identify and stay focused on the deeper thematic, emotional and even spiritual dimensions of a story. It is the arc that truly makes a script more emotional, meaningful and, ultimately, this is what makes a script more marketable.
Marks' technique not only enhances our understanding of story structure, but it also pushes the craft of writing into the realm of transformative art.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to get to the heart of what you're story is really about.
- How to keep your writing focused and balanced between external and internal conflict.
- How to make emotional contact with your audience so they care about what you write.
- How to develop characters who are flawed yet deeply human and relatable.
- How to utilize theme as the essential ingredient for developing plot and character.
- How to generate powerful images that maximize every scene.
- How to create stories that matter.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who want to deepen and enrich their work.
- Writers who are feeling lost in their story.
- Writers who are struggling to complete their first draft.
- Writers who want a better understanding of how to approach their rewrite.
- Writers who don't want to make cookie-cutter movies.
- Writers who want more from story structure than to just fill-in-the-blanks.
- Writers who want to get to the heart of what their story really has to say.
- Writers who care about the quality of their work.