Building Bridges: How to Establish and Maintain Positive, Productive Relationships with Editors and Publishers OnDemand Webinar
To get a foot in the door, there are three critical things every writer must do: come up with good ideas, pitch them effectively, and deliver with excellence. Once in the door, another skill becomes crucial: knowing how to establish and maintain relationships with the editors, publishers, agents and others whose opinions can affect whether your work sees the light of day. In Building Bridges, bestselling author and seasoned freelancer I.J. Schecter explains how to forge positive connections with the key influencers in the publishing landscape and develop them over time in a way that is reciprocally creative, continually productive, and mutually rewarding.
In this 60-minute tutorial video, you will learn:
- How to structure your practical approach toward editors and publishers
- How to shift your mental perception of editors and publishers
- How to look at your queries through an editor's eyes instead of your own
- How to establish the right rhythm and tone in your correspondence
- How to strike the right professional-personal balance and let the editor-writer relationship grow organically
- What turns editors on (and off)
- How to apply principles of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) to your writing career
- How to be a proactive, instead of reactive, sense-and-responder
- Insider tips for standing out among the querying crowd
- Essential do's and don'ts of the writer-editor relationship
Building Bridges is taught by I.J. Schecter, bestselling author of multiple titles including 102 Ways to Earn Money Writing 1,500 Words or Less: The Ultimate Freelancer's Guide and long-time contributor to a variety of top magazines throughout the world, from Maxim to Men's Exercise, Today's Bride to Golf Monthly, Canadian Geographic to Shutterbug. I.J. is based in Toronto.
We Also Recommend
How to Write Short Stories and Use Them to Further Your Writing Career OnDemand Webinar