From Premise to Page: Developing Your Screenplay Idea OnDemand Webinar
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
All great films and TV series start with a great idea. A premise. A thought. A hook. A visual. A character you'd love to write.
But how do you get from that great kernel of a concept to a vibrant and sellable script? How do you know if your idea is actually strong enough to BE a movie? And how do you distinguish which ideas are worth working on and which to cast aside?
In this Webinar, we will go through exercises that will help you examine your ideas, concepts and characters and develop them into more fleshed out stories. We will look at the driving forces of story including character, conflict, hook, stakes, and voice to make sure you're writing the best version of your story, and that it's the right story for YOU to tackle.
We will look at the If/Then paradigm of brainstorming and how your outline, plotting and even logline process can help keep your story on its best track. And we'll go over how executives evaluate concepts to know if they are sellable, visual, and compelling enough to be viable.
As a development executive and script consultant, I have spent over a decade helping writers and producers develop their ideas into sellable scripts. And having taken over 3,000 pitches, I can help show you how to develop that story instinct to turn your big ideas into big opportunity.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to examine and develop your story ideas and original hooks into fleshed out, viable stories.
- Ways to recognize if your idea is really a movie (or TV series) and the ability to recognize when it's not.
- Different techniques that will make developing, outlining and plotting your story easier and fun.
- The If/Then Brainstorming Tree.
- The List of Questions Executives ask themselves when evaluating a project/concept.
- How to know if your conflict and characters are strong enough to drive a story.
- How to make sure you're writing the RIGHT version and genre of your concept
- How to make sure you're exploiting your hook in visual, compelling ways.
- How to know if you're starting your story at the right point and focusing on the right character.
- Strategies to decide which of your many projects should be your next focus.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers with tons of unwritten ideas
- Writers deciding what to work on next
- Writers looking to develop their projects into feature scripts
- Writers wondering if their ideas and concepts would actually make for good scripts
- Writers looking to learn brainstorming techniques for their characters and stories
- Writers in the outlining, development or brainstorming phase of writing
- Writers who have script ideas but need help starting to write them
- Writers who want to look at their own projects from an Executive's POV.
- Anyone who needs help fleshing out their ideas, characters and conflicts.
- Writers looking to take their concepts to the next level.