How To Be a Writer Without Losing Your Mind: Balancing Work, Life, and Craft
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You are looking or inspiration and motivation to KEEP GOING
- You are feeling hounded by their inner critic
- You suffer from ‚Äúwriter's block"
- You are a new writer looking to form strong writing habits
- You are a writer with a day job and family, in school
ABOUT THE ONDEMAND WEBINAR
Being a writer can make you crazy. The writer's life is at once invigorating and exhausting, it can be isolating and wonderfully social, inspiring as well as demeaning. As writers we bring our deepest, most sensitive selves to the page, and often the world can feel like a hyper-critical and uncaring receiver, where competition, criticism, and even the success of others can make writing feel like a chore, or worse-utterly terrifying. And yet, we're driven to return to the page and express ourselves despite the uncertainty and the demands of day-to-day life.
How do we deal with all these contradictions, the isolation, the rejection, the irrational joys and sorrows of being a writer? In this presentation you'll learn many ways to kill the fear, or, as Robert Leckie said, shoot that old bear under your desk between the eyes.
With practical tips and tricks, examples from dozens of famous writers, and inspiration culled from years of experience as both an author and agent, instructor John Cusick provides the tools for tackling the writing life with gusto, enthusiasm, and balance. Learn healthy, productive techniques for combating the inner critic, utilize envy envy, and summon motivation. With humor and insight, this presentation gives writers the skills to conquer the maddening uncertainties of writing and publishing, and to create a space for one's writer self in the world.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- Techniques for balancing writing time and your day-to-day life
- Tips for staying focused when distractions demand your attention
- How to set up a mental and physical space for your writing
- Tricks for staying motivated and inspired
- Techniques for coping with insecurity, uncertainty, and rejection
- How to deal with your internal critic
- Daily practices and meditations specifically designed for the writing life
- How to take the measure of yourself as a writer, and keep writing!
John M. Cusick is an agent with Folio Jr. / Folio Literary Management, representing picture books, middle-grade, and young adult novels. He is also the author of GIRL PARTS and CHERRY MONEY BABY (Candlewick Press), as well as a regular speaker at writers conferences. His online writing on the craft and philosophy of writing receive thousands of hits a day. His clients include New York Times Bestselling Author Tommy Wallach (WE ALL LOOKED UP, Simon & Schuster), Courtney Alameda (SHUTTER, Feiwel & Friends) and Hannah Moskowitz (A HISTORY OF GLITTER AND BLOOD, Chronicle Books) You can find him at www.JohnMCusick.com and on twitter, @johnmcusick.
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.
We Also Recommend
The Complete Guide of Poetic Forms: 100+ Poetic Form Definitions and Examples for Poets
40 Plot Twist Prompts for Writers: Writing Ideas for Bending Your Stories in New Directions