How to Use Scene Types to Write a Page-Turning Plot
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You are a writer who is interested in crafting strong, layered, and engaging scenes
- You are a writer looking to create memorable, page-turning plots
- You are a writer who has scene ideas but need practical tools for building layers and nuance
- You are a writer who needs support in knowing the right scene types to use at each major juncture in a story
- You are a writer wanting to maximize your scenes
ABOUT THE ONDEMAND WEBINAR
Story plots are comprised of many different kinds of scenes, and not all scenes are created equal. Each scene type has strengths and weaknesses and satisfies different key moments in your plot in uniquely different ways. An integrated understanding of how to plot at the scene level takes your writing to new depths.
Based on the work of Martha Alderson and Jordan Rosenfeld's new book, Writing Deep Scenes, you'll learn the essentials of scene writing, an array of scene types and when to use them in designing a plot that resonates with readers long after they put your story down. You'll also learn the four key energetic markers of your plot, how your character needs to transform emotionally, and where to put scenes in order to build a page-turning plot.
Martha and Jordan have taught plot and scene for decades and have each authored several books on elements of the writing craft.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- The essentials of scene writing
- How to show, don't tell in scenes or, in other words, demonstrate, don't lecture
- How to incorporate the three key layers of plot in scene: Action, Emotion, and Theme
- An array of different scene types
- Which scene types are more versatile than others
- Which scene types to use sparingly
- How scene types relate to the key turning points in your plot
- How to know which scenes go where in your story
Martha Alderson is the bestselling author of The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master. Her most recent book is Writing Blockbuster Plots: A Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Plot, Structure & Scene, followed by Writing Deep Scenes: Plotting Your Story Through Action, Emotion & Theme (with Jordan Rosenfeld), The Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories and The Plot Whisperer Book of Plot Writing Prompts: Easy Exercises to Get You Writing. She has also produced 4 online video programs for writers: The 27-Step Tutorial: How Do I Plot a Novel, Memoir, Screenplay?, PlotWriMo: How to Revise Your Novel in a Month, How to Write and Sell a Picture Book (with literary agent Jill Corcoran) and A Spiritual Guide for Writers: Secrets of Personal Transformation. http://marthaalderson.com. Follow her on Twitter: @plotwhisperer
Jordan Rosenfeld is author of four writing guides, most recently Writing Deep Scenes (with Martha Alderson); Write Free: Attracting the Creative Life (with Rebecca Lawton); A Writer's Guide to Persistence; Make a Scene, and the forthcoming Writing the Intimate Character: Master Point of View to Write Unforgettable Characters (October, 2016). She has also written three suspense novels: Women in Red, Forged in Grace, and Night Oracle. Her work has been published in such places as The Atlantic, mental_floss, the New York Times, Quartz, Salon.com, the Washington Post and many more. www.jordanrosenfeld.net. Follow her on twitter: @JordanRosenfeld
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.