Setting: More than Creating a Sense of Place Audio Download
In this presentation Hallie Ephron examines the best techniques for creating a vivid sense of place and the many uses of setting that go beyond simply describing where your characters are. We'll explore the crucial link between viewpoint and setting, and the decisions a writer makes about which characters filter settings for the reader.
- The myriad aspects of setting (e.g. time, place, culture) and techniques for anchoring characters in a tangible sense of place
- Harnessing telling details
- Harnessing viewpoint so setting reveals character
- Using setting to trigger flashbacks and show time passing
- Building suspense through setting