Writing a Query that Stands Out OnDemand Webinar
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What to include in your query
- What should be left out of your query
- Formatting, structure, and length of a query
- Agent pet peeves in queries
- How to let an agent know you researched before querying
- What to do if your genre has been deemed “unsellable”
- How to write a memorable query without bells, whistles, or gimmicks
- How to write a bio no matter how many or how little writing credentials you have
- What to do before - and after - you send your query
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Writers dread writing queries. They're built up to be a writers “one and only shot” at getting an agent. Sometimes that's true, but most of the time it's not. Queries don't need to be painful. They're your chance to talk about your book, and no one can do that better than you can.
In this live webinar, literary agent, Sarah LaPolla teaches you how to make sure an agent notices your query for the right reasons. Get tips on technique, style, what will stand out, and what to do next. Sometimes a project just doesn't click with an agent, and that's OK. Just make sure that rejection isn't because your query fell flat.
Sarah LaPolla joined Bradford Literary Agency as an agent in 2013. She had previously worked in the foreign rights department at Curtis Brown, Ltd., and became an associate agent there in 2010. Sarah received her MFA in Creative Writing from The New School, and has a B.A. in Creative Writing from Ithaca College.
Representing Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Adult fiction, Sarah is especially drawn to the following genres: literary fiction, sci-fi, magical realism, contemporary fantasy, horror, and upmarket “book club” fiction. Regardless of genre or intended age group, Sarah is drawn to complex characters, under-represented voices, and stories that challenge the status quo.
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.