Writing the Irresistible Novel: Techniques and Insider Secrets for Making Your Novel One Agents Can't Help But Request
YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You're a writer who is looking to break into commercial fiction
- You're a writer who is curious about ‚Äúhigh concept"
- You're a writer who is feeling overwhelmed about how to break in to publishing
- You're a writer interested in where the fiction market is headed
ABOUT THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR
In a marketplace where more and more books are clamoring for attention, knowing how to craft a book that stands out from the start is an essential skill for success. Who better to take you through the steps to cracking the high-concept novel than two busy literary agents? Holly Root and Barbara Poelle give you the scoop on what stands out in their submissions inboxes, along with providing a live critique so you can see their advice in action.
They'll share their best advice for coming up with marketable ideas, and strategies to keep your creative engine running on high and hone your craft. The skills and techniques discussed are the same ones they recommend to their own clients when they're developing new ideas. This presentation gives you the tools to create at your highest level, and the vocabulary to talk about your creations in ways that will make industry professionals take notice.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to identify which concepts will grab attention
- What you can do today to create your strongest story ideas yet
- How to use writing exercises to break through creative stalls
- How to know when to walk away from a project that isn't working
- The one thing you can do to improve your marketing sense today
- What makes a query stand out from the submissions pile
- The importance of and uses for your log line and elevator pitch
- How to ‚Äúthink like an agent" or ‚Äúthink like a reader" to make your book stand out
- The rewards and perils of using social media
Holly Root is a literary agent at Waxman Leavell Literary Agency who represents adult fiction and nonfiction and novels for children and teens; she is not seeking picture book clients or screenwriting clients. She recently opened a West Coast office in Los Angeles for the New York City-based Waxman Agency. Prior to joining the Waxman Literary Agency in 2007, Holly worked at the William Morris Agency and Trident Media Group. Visit her online at www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/hroot and www.twitter.com/hroot.
Barbara Poelle is Vice President at Irene Goodman Literary Agency. representing fiction for teens and adults. Her roster trends toward thriller and suspenseful women's fiction as well as mystery, young adult and horror. Barbara also writes a monthly Q&A column for Writer's Digest magazine and has previously signed three clients from attendees of her Writer's Digest webinars. Visit www.irenegoodman.com to learn more.
NOTE: Writer's Digest does not offer refunds for OnDemand Webinars. All sales are final. OnDemand Webinars do NOT include a critique.